The growing popularity of sports performance training young athletes has never been stronger. This is leading to parents and coaches seeking professional training and education for their child. For those that are active there is a danger that this is leading to too much competitive game time and insufficient preparation time – too many young athletes are finding the unfortunate prevalence of injuries. Student athletes tend to over-train in one sport, instead of taking a multi-disciplinary approach for the entire body. There is also a concern with early specialization (i.e. one sport per school quarter, semester or trimester) and insufficient athletic development.
A solution to preventing student athlete injuries recommended at the Barton Center for Orthopedics & Wellness is a well-thought athletic development program that integrates training with coaches and is supported by family members. This program would recognize the multi-faceted possibilities in the younger athlete with a focus on coordination, strength, speed and endurance development. Moreover, the program, integrated with parents, school and coach will bring a holistic approach to student athlete development, incorporating a “Train Well, Eat Well, Restore Well” philosophy.
In a nutshell, Barton Performance by ALTIS works to engage and support young athletes in the community, providing education and supervision of training sessions along with an individualized program to help student athletes improve their performance while minimizing risk of injury:
- Offering training at the Barton Center for Orthopedics & Wellness to develop an awareness of body movement and develop the necessary strength, speed and endurance.
- New summer program launches soon at the Center, with coached trainings twice per week, individual programs, and access to the performance training area.
- Barton Performance has been working with local high schools to coordinate training needs for athletic teams.
- Barton Performance, along with Kristi Jouett, has developed an athletic development program integrated with physical education at Lake Tahoe Environmental Science Magnet School.
- Supervised training sessions for home-schooled students are now available.
Barton Performance by ALTIS is here to support lifelong activity of our entire community. This encompasses igniting the spark for the love of movement in young children, to supporting a budding athlete or successful collegiate star. Working with other programs in South Lake Tahoe, we support local sports by bringing together medical expertise, world-renown training techniques used with Olympic athletes, and restoration and nutrition opportunities available at the Barton Center for Orthopedics & Wellness, a U.S. Ski & Snowboard Certified Center of Excellence.
Ready to explore opportunities for you or your student athlete this summer and beyond? Call 530.600.1976 to learn more and schedule an assessment, or visit bartonperformance.com/assessment for more information.